Round barns, a rarity in the United States, are an artistic expression in the rural Jackson County landscape. A briefly occurring phenomenon, round barns were thought to be more economical to build than traditional rectangular barns because they used less lumber. By 1910, the popularity of round bans began to decline. Critics of the round barns considered them to be inconvenient, poorly lit and ventilated structures with wasted space. Two round barns still dot the Jackson County countryside and round barns are listed on the Indiana Landmarks 10 Most Endangered List.
The barn is located on County Rd. 460 W in Vallonia. Completed in 1911 by Daryl Carter for George Stuckwish, the barn was patterned after the nearly Mahan round barn. It is 60 feet in diameter with a self-supporting two-pitch gambrel roof and was constructed of locally milled beech wood from the Ewing Sawmill.
The Smith-Hall Barn is the largest round barn in Jackson County, measuring 72 feet in diameter. Located east of State Road 235 on County Rd. 150 S. in Medora, the barn built by Louis Geyer in 1920, was constructed from green lumber sawed on site. The double-hip roofed barn, which had no central silo, stands 72 feet high and has a 216-foot circumference. The well-equipped barn included a roomy drive and an apartment for a veterinarian.