The Shieldstown Covered Bridge was built in 1876 and named for the family-owned mill in the immediately adjacent village of Shields.
It cost $13,600 and is an example of early 19th century wooden truss technology. It is a rare variant of the Burr Arch Truss.
The Hamilton Township Bridge Company hired master bridge maker J.J. Daniels to plan and build it, which opened up the area for transportation across the East Fork White River and for crops to be milled and transported.
The surrounding area included a mill, school, church, businesses and camps.
A $1,063,837.65 restoration project started in 2015 and was completed in October 2019.